123, New Lenox Chicago, IL 60606
(123) 456-78-90

Permitted Development

What does Permitted Development and Building Regulations mean?

We understand that planning permission and building regulations can be confusing. That’s why we try to explain everything in plain English.

Here is a glossary of some key terms.

Permitted Development (PD) – In certain circumstances, when a property has Permitted Development Rights, an extension can be built without planning permission. Our website is perfect for people who want Permitted Development extensions.

We always recommend that you check if your property has PD rights before starting an extension.

You can check this simply by one of the following ways:

  1. Reviewing your title deeds.
  2. Asking your solicitor.
  3. Contacting your local planning department.

You can also follow this link for further guidance.

Lawful Development Certificate – At Instaplans, we specialise in Permitted Development extensions. If you wish to have an extra level of comfort, you may apply to your Local Authority for a Lawful Development Certificate, which confirms that building work conforms to Permitted Development. An example of when people may want a certificate is if a house move is on the horizon and you think a future purchaser may want to see it.

Planning Permission– If Permitted Development is not applicable to your property/design then planning permission must be sought. This is a legal requirement and construction without the relevant permission could be demolished through enforcement. Local Authority fees apply to a planning submission.

Building Regulations – All construction work generally needs Building Regulations approval. This is a legal requirement and establishes that a design conforms to the correct standards including thermal, access and fire safety. A Client may wish to use a Local Authority or a Private Building Inspector who assesses and visits your property during construction to certify that building work is in accordance with the Regulations. Building Inspector fees apply to an application for Building Regulations. There are two ways to submit Building Regulations applications: a Building Notice (explained in the following section) or a Full Plans Submission.

Full Plans Submission – The Full Plans route involves submitting our plans to your chosen Building Inspector who then takes 5 weeks to do pre-construction checks. This is our advised route if you have the time to spare, as any queries or amendments required are picked up prior to building work commencing.

Building Notice – This is when you complete a form which notifies the Building Inspector that you intend to commence construction in as little as 2 days. You can include our drawings in the submission, but no pre-construction checks will be done by the Inspector.